The South Australia International 2019 Quarter-Finals came to a dramatic end this afternoon as one of the biggest contenders for the Mixed Doubles title were knocked out of the competition.
Ming Chen and Yingzi held their nerve as they let the second seeds recover from 20-17 in the second game, before letting Simon and Gronya seize six game points opportunities. However, the pair eventually broke through and took the match on their fifth time of asking.
- Ming Chuen Lim/Yingzi Jiang (AUS) vs Simon Wing Hang Leung/Gronya Somerville (AUS) 21-16 29-27
Wheller was also one of the first games on court, against the badminton icon, Tan Boon Heong, and Shia Chun Kang. The pair stood their ground against the world record holder (for the fastest smash), but ultimately weren’t able to get through the Malaysians.
- Shia Chun Kang/Tan Boon Heong (MAS) vs Simon Wing Hang Leung/Mitchell Wheller (AUS) 21-14 21-11
New Zealand’s Maika and Dacmen suffered a similar fate, putting on a convincing fight against the Philippines’ pair who knocked out the top seeds yesterday.
- Philip Joper Escueta/Paul John Pantig (PHI) vs Maika Phillips/Dacmen Vong (NZL) 21-16 21-15
Meanwhile, two epic Singles games demonstrated the quality of competition at this year’s BWF International Challenge event in Adelaide. Lasting over an hour, Chinese Taipei’s Chia Hao and Japan’s Natsumi showed an incredible composed form to cope with the pressure as both games ended in a dramatic extension of points.
- Chia Hao Lee (TPE) vs Artem Pochtarov (UKR) 21-12 14-21 23-21
- Natsumi Shimoda (JPN) vs Shiori Ebihara (JPN) 23-21 19-21 24-22
The top seeds in the Men’s Singles and Women’s Doubles maintained their remarkable form in the competition so far as they comfortably secured their spots in this evening’s Semi-Finals.
- Lee Hyun Il (KOR) vs Alap Mishra (IND) 21-14 21-9
- Setyana Mapasa/Gronya Somerville (AUS) vs Yukino Nakai/Nao Ono (JPN) 21-11 21-16
However, it wasn’t meant to be for New Zealand’s Leydon-Davis and Pak, as they went down in two games against the Indonesian youngsters, Dejan (18) and Serena (20).
- Dejan Ferdinansyah/Serena Kani (INA) vs Oliver Leydon-Davis/Anona Pak (NZL) 21-14 21-14
Check out all the results from the Quarter-Finals on Tournament Software.
The Semi-Finals begin from 5pm local time (GMT + 9.30) – with all matches available to watch for free on the live stream, powered by OVO.