The position is full-time on a contract through to the Tokyo 2020 Games. The position will be based in Melbourne and the salary is to be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer based in Melbourne, Australia, this exciting position is responsible for the long-term planning, training and coaching of the Australian National Team as well as providing leadership to the Australia Performance Teams that includes input into high performance planning and coaching development and initiatives.
Badminton Australia is seeking a dynamic and self-motivated individual with a proven record in achieving results at international badminton tournaments. The National Head Coach is expected to have the experience and expertise in leading a world-class badminton high performance program and to excel in communication with a base of players, coaches, the organization. The National Head Coach position requires strong leadership qualities and the ability to foster collaboration teamwork, as well as cultivating productive working relationships to achieve positive outcomes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Train, coach and travel with the National Team and other Australian Teams as required.
- Develop and review annual performance plans for National Team and Junior National Team Members.
- Team Manager and/or Head Coach of the National Team and Australian Players at targeted international events as required.
- Provide leadership and support for the Performance Teams
- Provide support and/or mentoring to other High-Performance Coaches.
- Conduct annual meetings with BA & BWF Certified Coaches for professional development.
- Provide plans and reports to Sport Australia, Commonwealth Games Australia and Badminton Australia as required.
- Work with the other High-Performance staff and provide input for Badminton’s High-Performance Plan as well as Coaching Development.
- Support Badminton in developing key relationships with the Badminton non-member and member communities, clubs, regions, sporting bodies, the Olympic Committee, Badminton Oceania, Commonwealth Games Australia, and the Badminton World Federation as and when required.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive experience working with BWF top 20 World Ranked athletes in any of the 5 events (MS, MD, WS, WD or MX).
- Experience in a high-performance system that has produced a World Junior medallist.
- Proven track record of strong leadership skills not only in his/her area of technical expertise but also in the management of the group working environment with athletes and other coaches, administrators and supporting staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of the concepts of sports science/sports medicine and the ability to incorporate such disciplines holistically into training programs.
- Proven track record of the ability to motivate and reinforce work attitude of players, including being able to create a strong sense of “team identity.”
- Clear understanding of annual planning and periodization cycles in the sport of badminton.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to write and speak English fluently.
- Knowledge of the Australian and Badminton high performance systems is desirable (athlete selection procedures, high performance plan to receive funding, compliance issues etc.).
- National and International Badminton coaching qualifications.
- Experience coaching a Tier/Group 1 national team program as lead/head coach or assistant coach for any one of the 5 events.
- Experience in the development and execution on Badminton high performance strategy development.
- (Tier /Group 1 is based on the 2018 Sudirman Ranking – Korea, China, Thailand, Japan, Malaysia, India, Denmark, Chinese Taipei, Russia, Germany, Indonesia, Hong Kong China).
- Former BWF top 20 (or higher) Word-Ranked player in any of the 5 events who has medalled at international events such as the Olympic Games, World Championships, Sudirman Cup and Thomas/Uber Cup.
- Experience leading a national team (as Team Head Coach or Assistant Coach) that had outstanding performances in the following International events: Olympic Games, World Championships, Sudirman Cup and Thomas/Uber Cup.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your current resume and a cover letter addressing the above to Badminton Australia, Chief Executive Officer, Derek O’Leary at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 30, 2019. Please indicate approximate salary expectations in the cover letter.