It’s been a tough day for our players on day two of the LI-NING BWF World Junior Championships 2018 with many of the juniors from Australia and New Zealand coming up against some of the top seeds in the early rounds.
Zecily Fung (currently ranked 47 in the world junior rankings) continued her impressive run with a win over Slovakia’s Alexandra Remenova (231) with a 21-12 21-17 win to set up a third-round clash against the third seed from Malaysia, Goh Jin Wei. Goh has previously won the girls singles event at the World Junior Championships at Lima in 2015, as well as taking the Gold medal at this year’s 2018 Buenos Aires Youth Olympic Games! The third-round tie takes place on Wednesday 14 November, local time.
Meanwhile, Kai Chen Teoh and Peter Yan (ranked 159 and 534 respectively) of Australia had the tough draw of Chinese first seeds – Di Zijian and Wang Chang, who won the match 21-7 21-14. Other results throughout the day include:
- Apichasit Teerawiwat/Kunlavut Vitidsarn, Thailand (126/167) vs Ricky Tang/Ryan Venpin, Australia (722/1232) 21-14 21-12
- Tereza Švábíková, Czech Republic (14th seed) vs Ella Smith, New Zealand (88) 21-14 21-13
- Royta Ichii, Japan (177) vs Peter Yan, Australia (59) 14-21 21-16 21-17
- Alberto Alvin Yulianto, Indonesia (12th seed) vs Edward Lau, New Zealand (188) 21-16 21-5
- Jia Heng Jason Teh, Singapore (8th seed) vs Kai Chen Teoh, Australia (81) 21-17 21-17
- Amalie Magelund/Freja Ravn, Denmark (5th seed) vs Roanne Apalisok/Jacqueline Yu, New Zealand (124/106) 21-13 21-12
- Chen Yingxue/Li Yijing, China (97/91) vs Kaitlyn Ea/Angela Yu, Australia (710/516) 21-14 21-8
- Sahithi Bandi/Thanushree Ramesh, India (183/219) vs Shaunna Li/Ella Smith, New Zealand (193/83) 21-13 21-13
- Sharone Bauer/Ainoa Desmons, France (14th seeds) vs Zecily Fung/Jodee Vega, Australia (149/231) 21-15 21-16
- Dong Ju Ki/Seung Hyun Kim, Korea (96/180) vs Oscar Guo/Dacmen Vong, New Zealand (88/45) 21-11 21-9
Day three of the competition also sees the next round of the Mixed Doubles competition, following a break for singles and level doubles on day two! We look forward to seeing two of our pairs competing for a place in the next round:
- Ryan Tong/Ella Smith, New Zealand vs Chen Shiau Cheng/Wang Yu Qiao, Chinese Taipei
- Ryan Venpin/Kaitlyn Ea, Australia vs Armando Gaitan/Jessica Jazmin Bautista Trigueros, Mexico
Keep up to date with the latest scores and results here.