Finals day dawned with clear blue skies over Mandurah, setting the scene for a magnificent finals’ day at the Western Australia Para Badminton International 2023. By the end of the day, medals were awarded to players from 26 different coutries with only five of the participating countries missing out. The number of players at the tournament, across 31 countries is keeping para badminton alive and well for the future.
After finishing second in pool play, Kumar Nitesh and Thulasimathi Murugesan have stormed through the knockout stage of the draw to win the mixed doubles SL 3 SU 5 final.
- XD – SL 3 – SU 5 Final: Kumar Nitesh/Thulasimathi Murugesan (IND) def Fredy Setiawan/Khalimatus Sadiyah (INA)  15-21 22-20 21-19
The final standing match of the tournament completed what has been a very successful and impressive tournament. The number one and two seeds faced each other over three impressive games with the Indonesian pair claiming the women’s doubles title.
- WD – SL 3 – SU 5 Final: Leani Ratri Oktila/Khalimatus Sadiya (INA)  def Manasi Girishchandra Joshi/thulasimathi Murugesan (IND)  22-24 21-19 21-17
Pilar Jauregui Cancino had not been troubled throughout her women’s singles campaign, until the final. Up against the number two seed from Switzerland, this 56-minute match had all the appearances of what a final should be. With multiple match point opportunities in the second game, Renggli could not seize the opportunity with the match going to a third game and ultimately undoing her chances of success as Cancino pounced to take the win.
- WS – WH 2 Final: Pilar Jauregui Cancino (PER)  def Ilaria Renggli (SUI)  20-22 29-27 21-8
The crowd had to wait until the final wheelchair match of the day to enjoy the flair and mastery of Jaime Aranguiz and mixed doubles partner, Man-Kei To (CHI/BEL). With three games to enjoy Aranguiz’s vocal encouragement and excitement, the supporters were rapturous when they won the final, completing an unbeaten run this week.
- XD – WH 1 – WH 2 Final: Jaime Aranguiz (CHI)/Man-Kei To (BEL) 21-12 13-21 21-16
Rina Marlina came out fighting in her women’s singles final, not allowing her opponent to find her rhythm. Marlina was calculating and shut down any attempt Giuliana Flores made to be competitive. Later in the session she triumphed once again wining the mixed doubles with Subhan Subhan.
- WS – SH 6 Final: Rina Marlina (INA)  def Giuliana Flores (PER)  21-11 21 14
- XD – SH 6 Final: Subhan Subhan/Rina Marlina (INA)  def Chu Man Kai/Choi Wing Kei (HGK) 21-6 21-13
Brazilian men’s singles finalist, Vitor Tavares stayed true to his seeding, defeating the flamboyant Wong Chun Yim (HKG).
- MS – SH 6 Final: Vitor Tavares (BRA)  def Wong Chun Yim (HKG)  22-20 21-8
Full resutls via Touranament Software
Photos can be view on our Facebook page