BWF MEDIA STATEMENT
The International Olympic Committee (IOC), while continuing its consultations with stakeholders of Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, has issued a communique on the principles established by the IOC Executive Board, together with their implementation in cooperation with all the stakeholders concerned. Badminton World Federation is fully supportive of all the positions stated in the communique.
Firstly, the IOC has emphasised its solidarity with society and to those affected by the coronavirus crisis.
The IOC has stated that, with more than four months to go for the Games, there is no need for any drastic decisions; any speculation at this moment would be counter-productive.
The IOC is encouraging all athletes to continue to prepare for Tokyo 2020 as best they can. The athletes will receive IOC support and they and their respective NOCs (National Olympic Committees) will be consulted and provided the latest information, which are accessible for athletes worldwide on the Athlete365 website and via their respective NOCs and IFs (International Federations).
The IOC’s over-riding principles will be to protect the health of everyone involved and to support the containment of the virus, and to safeguard the interests of the athletes and of Olympic sport. The IOC will continue to monitor the situation 24/7. In mid-February, a task force was set up consisting of the IOC, the World Health Organization, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, the Japanese authorities and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government to ensure coordinated actions by all stakeholders.
To date, 57 per cent of the athletes have already qualified for the Games. For the remaining 43 per cent of places, the IOC will work with the IFs to make any necessary and practical adaptations to their respective qualification systems for Tokyo 2020, in line with the following principles:
- All quota places that have already been allocated to date remain allocated to the NOCs and athletes that obtained them.
- The possibility remains to use existing and scheduled qualification events, wherever these still have fair access for all athletes and teams.
- All necessary adaptations to qualification systems and all allocation of remaining places will be: a) based on on-field results (e.g. IF ranking or historical results); and b) reflect where possible the existing principles of the respective qualification systems (e.g. use of rankings or continental/regional specific event results).
Any increase in athlete quotas will be considered on a case-by-case basis under exceptional circumstances, with the support of the Organising Committee Tokyo 2020.
IOC President Thomas Bach said: “The health and well-being of all those involved in the preparations for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is our number-one concern. All measures are being taken to safeguard the safety and interests of athletes, coaches and support teams. We are an Olympic community; we support one another in good times and in difficult times. This Olympic solidarity defines us as a community.”