Day four opened with some heated contests in the men’s and women’s doubles. Hoping to progress to the quarterfinals later in the day, all first round matches were intense, setting up a competitive vibe at the TAKECARE Saipan International 2023.
The first seeds in the men’s doubles from Chinese Taipei had to dig deep against the fired up dynamic duo from Japan. After coming off a good win the previous day, Kaneko and Ota were looking to progress, but Chang and Po took control, and the match.
- Chang Ko-Chi/Po Li-Wei (TPE)  vs Mahiro Kaneko/Shunya Ota (JPN) 18-21 21-19 21-18
The fourth seeds, Shuntaro Mezaki and Haruya Nishida played a risky match, taking it to the wire against Wei Chun Wei and Wu Guan Xun. With both games taken to extension, it could have gone either way.
- Shuntaro Mezaki/Haruya Nishida (JPN) vs Wei Chun Wei/Wu Guan Xun (TPE) 22-20 26-24
Over in the women’s doubles draw, Korea’s Lee Yu Lim and Shin Seung Chan weren’t tested and will progress to the quarterfinals where they will meet Mei Sudo and Nao Yamakita who had a three game win over Cheng and Sun.
- Lee Yu Lim/Shin Seung Chan (KOR)  vs Nicole Gonzales Chan/Yang Chu Yun (TPE) 21-14 21-13
- Mei Sudo/Nao Yamakita (JPN) vs Cheng Yu-Pei/Sun Wen Pei (TPE) 17-21 21-14 21-15
Meanwhile the Australian pair of Setyana Mapasa and Angela Yu took to the court for their second match of the tournament. In with a fighting chance, they took every opportunity to capatalise on errors from the Chinese Taipei pair and booked their place in the quarterfinals. Their compatriots, Ying Tse and Jasmine Wong were not so fortunate against the number one seeds, bowing out of the TAKECARE Saipan International 2023.
- Setyana Mapasa/Angela Yu (AUS) vs Hsu Yin-Hui/Lee Chih Chen (TPE) 21-16 14-21 21-11
- Hsu Ya Ching/Lin Wan Ching (TPE)  vs Ying Tse/Jasmine Wong (AUS) 21-7 21-2
Tomoka Miyazaki continued her impressive form in the women’s singles, with a calm and calculated approach to her match. The young Japanese woman continues to display a character far beyond her 16 years.
- Tomoka Miyazaki (JPN) vs Wang Yu Si (TPE) 21-19 23-21
Former world top 16, 32-year-old Lee Dong Keun could not move himself into the semifinals after the number three seed won in two consecutive games. Meanwhile, sixth seed, Takuma Obayashi dispatched his compatriot, however it took three games to do so.
- Su Li Yang (TPE)  vs Lee Dong Keun (KOR) 21-13 23-21
- Takuma Obayashi (JPN) vs Ryoma Muramoto (JPN) 21-12 14-21 21-11
All four mixed doubles quarterfinals went to three games, showcasing the high level of international player on show. Presley Smith and Allison Lee injected themselves into their match, booking their ticket to the next round following an aggressive performance against their Japanese opponents. Chang Ko-Chi and Lee Chih Chen continued their impressive form in this tournament, but it wasn’t without a scare. The winners of last weeks CROWNE PLAZA Northern Marianas Open 2023 were not going to lie down quietly, tenacious until the end.
- Presley Smith/Allison Lee (USA) vs Hiroki Nishi/Akari Sato (JPN) 14-21 21-19 21-15
- Chang Ko-Chi/Lee Chih Chen (TPE  vs Wang Chan/Shin Seung Chan (KOR) 21-16 18-21 21-17
The women’s doubles witnessed a truly epic match that had everyone on their feet. The first game went the way of the Oceania pair, but the second was a no holds barred battle between two sides who would take it to the bitter end. As the score rose to 30-29 in favour of the Australians, it was a match to savour. Meanwhile the number two seeds had a disappointing end to their tournament, outclassed by the unrelenting Japanese.
- Setyana Mapasa/Angela Yu (AUS) vs Francesca Corbett/Allison Lee (USA) 21-15 30-29
- Sayaka Hobara/Yui Suizu (JPN) vs Chang Ching Hui/Yang Ching Tun (TPE)  21-15 21-9
Chang Ko-Chi made it two from two when he and his men’s doubles partner finished the night off with a win to elevate them to the semifinals. Taking just 27 minutes to subdue their opponents, they will face Shuntaro Mezaki and Haruya Nishida in tomorrow’s semifinal.
- Chang Ko-Chi/Po Li-Wei (TPE)  vs Yu Hsiang Chou/Yi Hsin Wang (TPE) 21-11 21-16
Check out all results from today’s quarterfinals at the TAKECARE Saipan International 2023 on Tournament Software.
The semifinals begin at 4pm (local time, GMT+10). Follow the latest news and find out more on Badminton Oceania’s Facebook page.
All matches on courts one and two are available to watch on the live stream for free, via Badminton Oceania’s YouTube channel – click here to watch.