Players from Australia and Chinese Taipei denied the other competing countries (New Zealand and Sri Lanka) a chance of competing in any of today’s Quarter-Finals at the Australian Junior International 2019.
The Men’s Singles players opened proceedings, with Chinese Taipei’s Lai Pin Da storming through the first game against Australia’s fourth seeded Dimitri Han. A change of game plan seemed to be working in Han’s favour after the change of ends, but a couple of mistakes later and Lai ran away with the victory.
First seed, Rio Agustino, was trailing from one game down but become the only seeded player to survive this morning’s play-off as fellow compatriots Gavin Kyjac Ong (second seed) and Ricky Tang (third seed) exited the competition.
- Lai Pin Da (TPE) vs Dimitri Han (AUS) 21-9 21-19
- Rio Agustino (AUS) vs Jack Yu (AUS) 13-21 21-17 21-15
Lee Yu-Hsaun continued her impressive form in the Women’s Singles Quarter-Finals. After knocking out the third seed in yesterday’s second round, the fifteen-year-old powered through her Quarter-Final game to join fellow teammate, Liao Tzu Yi, who knocked out the second seed, in this afternoon’s Semi-Final.
- Lee Yu-Hsuan (TPE) vs Yuelin Zhang (AUS) 21-9 21-8
- Liao Tzu Yi (TPE) vs Majan Almazan (AUS) 21-15 21-19
Chinese Taipei first seeds Chen Zhi Ray and Cheng Kai Wen continued their Men’s Doubles campaign with ease, while the second seeds from Ricky Tang and Otto Xing De Zhao had to battle it out over three games to secure their Semi-Final spot.
- Chen Zhi Ray/Cheng Kai Wen (TPE) vs Benjamin Eu-Wen Chen (AUS) 21-16 21-8
- Ricky Tang/Otto Xing De Zhao (AUS) vs Ross Audley/Daniel Hocking (AUS) 21-15 18-21 21-13
Angie Liu and Angela Yu made light work of their Women’s game, taking only 13 minutes to secure a win over two games. Meanwhile, Lee Yu-Hsuan and Liao Tzu Yi remain on track to deny Australia the option of an all-Australian Semi-Final.
- Angie Liu/Angela Yu (AUS) vs Yasmin Say/Sydney Tjonadi (AUS) 21-8 21-2
- Lee Yu-Hsuan/Liao Tzu Yi (TPE) vs Kelly Xu/Yuelin Zhang (AUS) 21-13 21-15
Angela Yu’s path of destruction infiltrated the Mixed Doubles draw too. Partnering her brother, Jack Yu, the first seeds seized control of the game from the beginning and didn’t let go of the lead to win in two games.
- Jack Yu/Angela Yu (AUS) vs Liao Po Kai/Lee Yu Hua (TPE) 21-7 21-6
The Semi-Finals will begin at 4pm (local time) on Saturday 31 August at Altona Badminton Centre.