Photo Credit: Badminton Photo
On Monday 10 June 2019, the Australian Governor-General announced the list of recipients for a variety of awards as part of the Queen’s Birthday Honours 2019.
The Badminton Oceania President, Geraldine Brown, was amongst the list and has been awarded with an Order of Australia Medal for her services to badminton.
This comes only one more after Geraldine was awarded with the Organisation of Sports Federations of Oceania (OSFO) Merit Award for similar services.
It came as a pleasant surprise for the badminton mogul, who is recognised all across the region for her outstanding contributions to the sport.
“You don’t do it for honours, you do it for the love of the sport”, says Geraldine.
To recap, highlights from Geraldine’s past and present involvement in badminton includes:
- Been on the Board of BOC since 2005. Deputy President in 2010 and 2011 and has been President since 2012
- BWF Vice President – Oceania since 2013
- Chair of the BWF Gender Equity Commission
- President Badminton Australia 2008 – 2019
- Vice President Australian Commonwealth Games Association 2015 – 2018
- Australia Badminton Team Manager – Athens Olympic Games, Manchester Commonwealth Games
- Qualified Badminton Coach and Umpire
- Represented Australia as a player
- Awarded Premier Honour Role for Women
- Awarded Australian Sports Medal