Pictured: Oliver Leydon-Davis/Anona Pak. Photo Credit: Luis Veniegra Photography
Another day of intense competition saw a number of top seeds crumble on day three, as the Quarter Finalists are decided at the BWF International Series event.
The Mixed Doubles contingent from the Philippines opened the day with two stunning blows to the top seeded
Australians, ousting the second and sixth seeds with a convincing scoreline over two games.
- Alvin Morada/Alyssa Yasbel Leonardo (PHI) vs Mitchell Wheller/Hsuan-Yu Wendy Chen (AUS) 21-12 21-15
- Peter Gabriel Magnaye/Thea Marie Pomar (PHI) vs Michael Soon How Lim/Victoria He (AUS) 21-13 21-13
Both pairs had more reason to celebrate later in the day as they earned a place in tomorrow’s Quarter-Finals following an emphatic third round victory.
- Alvin Morada/Alyssa Yasbel Leonardo (PHI) vs Boris Ma/Jennifer Tam (AUS) 21-8 21-7
- Peter Gabriel Magnaye/Thea Marie Pomar (PHI) vs Dylan Soedjasa/Justine Villegas (NZL) 21-13 21-14
Meanwhile, the fourth seeds from New Zealand picked up the same form that saw them beat the world-class Magee siblings from Ireland at this year’s Sudirman Cup as they eased past their opponents from Chinese Taipei.
- Oliver Leydon-Davis/Anona Pak (NZL) vs Lin Yu Chieh/Chen Li (TPE) 21-8 21-13
Leydon-Davis doubled up on his Quarter-Final appearance, following his emphatic victory in the Men’s Doubles with Abhinav Manota.
- Oliver Leydon-Davis/Abhinav Manota (NZL) vs Kelvin Ho/Pak Yu Ng (ENG) 21-14 21-11
The Men’s Singles winners from Perth International and South Australia International met in the third round of the Men’s Singles afternoon. The nail-biting clash couldn’t have been much closer and still managed to last 50 minutes despite Chi Yu Jen winning in two games.
- Chi Yu Jen (TPE) vs Tze Yong Ng (MAS) 21-18 24-22
Australia’s Yingzi Jiang continues to fly the flag for Oceania in the Singles as she became the only representative to qualify for tomorrow’s Quarter-Finals following the defeat of New Zealand’s tenth seed in the Men’s and Australia’s sixth seed in the Women’s.
- Yingzi Jiang (AUS) vs Yu Chieh (TPE) 21-13 21-13
- Chen You-Chi (TPE) vs Louisa Ma (AUS) 21-19 19-21 21-19
- Lim Chong King (MAS) vs Abhinav Manota (NZL) 21-16 21-8
The Women’s Doubles Champions from Adelaide showed every intention of repeating their success as they consistently fired the shuttle past their opponents this evening.
Meanwhile, Indonesia’s Amelia and Kani proved that they could be the ones to watch this week following their impressive victory over the fifth seeds.
- Rin Iwanaga/Kie Nakanishi (JPN) vs Liang Ting Yu/Yang Yu-Chi (TPE) 21-17 21-16
- Ririn Amelia/Serena Kani (INA) vs Jiang Yi-Hua/Yu Chien Hui (TPE) 21-19 21-17
Check out all the results, including times and statistics, from day three on Tournament Software.
The Quarter-Finals take place tomorrow morning from 10am before the Semi-Finals take place from 4pm. You can catch all the action from courts one and two on the live stream, powered by OVO.