Pictured: Georgina Bland, England / Photo credit @jbmedia_perth
The Men’s and Women’s Singles draw at the Perth International 2019 opened the BWF Future Series event at Kingsway Indoor Stadium this morning.
Australia’s national Champion, Jacob Schueler, managed to recover from his shaky start to survive the first round scare, while being gifted with a walkover straight into tomorrow’s third round following the withdrawal of India’s fifth seed Alap Mishra.
- Jacob Schueler (AUS) vs Niccolo Tagle (NZL) 16-21 21-9 21-9
Meanwhile, Dinesh Velan set the standard for the high-calibre Men’s Singles draw. The Malaysian probably wasn’t expecting a 62-minute match in the first round. However, the added court time allowed him to familiarise himself with the playing conditions as he bettered himself with a second-round victory later in the afternoon.
- Dinesh Velan (MAS) vs Jia Zheng Kok (AUS) 14-21 21-18 21-16
- Dinesh Velan (MAS) vs Timothy Sentosa (AUS) 21-17 25-23
Sri Lanka’s Sachin Dias could also be seen bursting at the lungs, relieved to see his way into the third round following an emphatic victory against Australia’s third seed, Anthony Joe.
- Sachin Dias (SRI) vs Anthony Joe (AUS) 19-21 21-13 21-12
There were more upsets throughout the day as a number of top seeded players stumbled at the first hurdle in the Men’s and Women’s draw.
- Tung Ciou-Tong (TPE) vs Ella Soderstrom (ENG) 22-20 21-9
- Lin Jhih Yun (TPE) vs Georgina Bland (ENG) 21-15 21-16
Australia’s Pit Seng Low and Louisa Ma, who have recently been traveling around Europe in search of additional World Ranking points returned to Australia to compete in Perth. However, both players faced a frustrating victory over two narrow contests.
- Chen Li (TPE) vs Louisa Ma (AUS) 27-25 21-17
- Oswald Fung (ENG) vs Pit Seng Low (AUS) 7-21 21-5 21-17
Day two will open with the first round of the Men’s and Women’s Doubles, from 10am local time (GMT+8), before the Men’s and Women’s Singles gets underway from 11.20am.
Watch the action from courts one and two live and for free on OVO, and follow the draw and results on Tournament Software.