Pictured: Loh Kean Yew, Singapore. Photo credit: Badminton Photo, Jnanesh Salian
Singapore Badminton Association is inviting applications for the position of Singapore Badminton Singles Head Coach. We are aiming to enhance our current singles programme through the recruitment of an internationally recognised Head Coach with the aim of continuing the development and growth of our singles programme. This position is a full-time post dedicated toward driving Singapore’s Singles strategy toward further international success in the short and long term, building on the recent success on the world stage. The successful candidate will join the existing Singles Coaching team along with a strong support from the High Performance Team and Singapore Sports Institute sport scientists.
The National Singles Head Coach is responsible for the leadership of the Singles programme and planning annual and weekly training programmes for the Singapore National Singles players, whilst managing the daily training environment and work with the High Performance Team to define the competition programme for the players at National and back up player level. Additionally, the successful candidate will also be a key leader in the integration of a performance Singles strategy for Singapore.
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience coaching within a National Team structure with a primary focus on Singles
- A proven record of success in developing world class players and performances evidenced at top level tournaments
- A clear understanding of annual planning and periodization principles in the sport of Badminton and how they can be applied across the developing players
- Holds the BWF Level 2 qualification or equivalent as a minimum
- Candidates should have strong communication skills. Be fluent in speaking English as the primary language
- Have the ability to create a motivating training environment
- Have knowledge on the usage of sport science to enhance the performance of athletes
- Singapore Badminton is offering a competitive salary that is reflective of our interests in attracting a world class coach to the programme.
- S$7000-S$12,000 per month in line with qualifications, experience and suitability for the role
Key responsibilities and main tasks and activities:
- Lead the planning and delivery of the annual and weekly training and competition plan for Singapore National Singles players
- Work in conjunction with the Assistant Coach, NTS Coaches and NIS Coaches in technical leadership of a Singapore Singles strategy to produce world class Singles players for Singapore,
- Work with the Team to ensure that training and competition programmes for Singapore’s developing Singles players are well managed and reflective of progressive athlete development needs.
- Work closely with the High Performance Team in the management of the training environment and in the overall management of the Singles performance programme.
- Creating a strong emphasis on the overall team culture and discipline which aligns with the targets for the programme
- Develop a strong relationship with dedicated Singapore Sports Institute staff to ensure that Singapore Singles players are provided with an appropriate sports science support programme that reflects their customized development and performance objectives
- Coaching of Singapore National and Developing players at international tournaments as required.
- Report to the Technical Manager and High Performance Team
- To undertake other duties from time to time as reasonably required by the Technical Manager
- The post-holder shares with all other colleagues the responsibility:
- To make suggestions to improve the working environment within their area of work and Singapore Badminton as a whole
- This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in light of the changing needs of the organisation.
- The role will be based in Singapore.
- The role will initially be on a full-time contract basis – through to March 2025.
- The Singles Head Coach shall report to the SBA Technical Manager
For further information or enquiries please contact Sim Bee Lui in the first instance: email@example.com
To apply for the position:
- For Singapore candidates, please apply via the following website: www.mycareerfuture.gov.sg
- For foreign (non-Singaporean candidates, please apply by sending your cover letter and resume outlining qualifications, experience, current and expected salary to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be informed that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Closing date for applications: 16th February 2022
Get the latest news and developments from Badminton Oceania delivered straight to your inbox by subscribing to our eNewsletter: