Pictured: Corrie Robinson, New Zealand. Photo Credit: Badminton Photo
Australia’s Caitlin Dransfield tasted more victory on day two at the Hulic Daihatsu Japan Para-Badminton International 2019. The SL4 player opened with a convincing win over her Ukranian opponent, with one more match remaining against the first seed in group A before the knockout stages commence.
- Caitlin Dransfield (AUS) vs Oksana Kozyna (UKR) 21-14 21-16
Meanwhile, New Zealand’s Corrie Robinson contended in a nail-biting match in his opening group B game. Trailing 18-10 in the first game, the kiwi managed to pull the score back to a more respectable 21-18 loss. Robinson managed to take his momentum into the second game where he lead for the majority, until 17-13 when his Thai opponent fought back with a consecutive five point run to see him through to the finish line.
- Chawarat Kitichokwattana (THA) vs Corrie Keith Robinson (NZL) 21-18 21-19
“It was great to play against such a strong player. It’s the third time we’ve played against each other and it’s always close“, says Corrie.
However, his high score combined with the unfortunate withdrawal of his other group stage opponent (Indian second seed, Tarun Tarun) still sees Corrie progress through to the knockout stages of the SL4 Men’s Singles.
Elsewhere in the draw, it became the end of the road for the majority of Australia’s remaining players as their group stage campaigns came to an end.
Women’s Singles SL4 player, Celine Vinot, lost her opening group C campaign. With one more match remaining on Friday 15 November, Vinot will need a highly convincing win against the ¾ seed from Japan, Fujino Haruka, to progress through to the knockout stages.
- Olivia Meier (CAN) vs Celine Vinot (AUS) 21-11 21-13
- Francisco Motero (SPA) vs Richard John Davis (AUS) 21-12 21-11
- Atsuya Watanabe (JPN) vs Douglas Youlten (AUS) 21-2 21-1
- Thomas Jakobs (FRA) vs Grant Manzoney (AUS) 21-8 21-19
- Guangliang Luo (CHN) vs Luke Missen (AUS) 21-11 21-13
- Palak Kohli/Parul Dalsukhbhai Parmar (IND) vs Caitlin Dransfield/Celine Vinot (AUS) 21-10 21-15
- Takayuki Matsude (JPN) vs Richard John Davis (AUS) 21-9 21-4
- Hefang Cheng/Huihui Ma (CHN) vs Caitlin Dransfield/Celine Vinot (AUS) 21-5 21-3
- Ilya Pargeev/Yuri Stepanov (RUS) vs Richard John Davis/Grant Manzoney (AUS) 21-5 21-12
Some group stage matches will continue to unfold, while the knockout rounds progress for many others, on Friday 15 November from 9am local time (GMT+9).
Follow the draw and all results on Tournament Software.